Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Tips to help you capture everyday moments


As a photographer, I always have my camera very close at hand. When I was first learning to shoot in manual mode, I took photos of my kids doing everything from sitting in their high chair to taking a bath, and everything in between. I still take a million photos of my kids and each year I put together a book that documents the captured moments of their life. I'm always amazed at how much more meaningful the everyday moments are to me than some of the bigger trips or posed photo shoots. 

You don't have to be a professional photographer to capture these moments...although I won't be at all upset if you hire me to help you capture them. But if you want to practice with your camera, here are some tips that I've found helpful in my learning process. 

Make it habit: Bring your camera with you everywhere you go and have it ready. Have spare batteries and plenty of SD cards on hand. 



Post your photos: I have a personal blog, a Facebook (www.facebook.com/cyndipalmerphotographyhttp://www.facebook.com/cyndipalmerphotography) and Instagram account. I post photos in many locations and have also joined in fun groups like www.shootalong.com to help motivate and challenge me along the way. You could start your own photo-a-day challenge with friends and family. 



When in doubt....take it out: Yes, you may get strange looks at Target or the grocery store, but that has never stopped me from taking photos in public places. It can be a great reminder of your everyday routine and life. 



Capture kids in their element: Taking a bath, playing with the iPad, relaxing, playing with their favorite toy, anything that they enjoy doing, capture it. These are the moments we cherish as parents, and the ones they love to see when they get older. 


Get rid of the clutter: It takes 5 minutes to clean up a bit before you start shooting, and a clutter free photo is 10 times better than one with distracting elements. 





Be intentional: Give directions and ask questions to get the best out of your subjects, especially if you have something specific in mind. Get your subjects to smile genuinely by asking them silly questions or tickling them gently. Don't put your camera down for a moment cause you will need to act quickly to catch that moment you've been waiting for. 

Think outside the box: My kids don't always want to have their pictures taken and sometimes it becomes a game, but this is also when I get my best photos cause I have to try new angles or a different approach. Play around with it, get up hight, down low, move in close or back way up. 


Focus on the Details: Think about all the things you love about your kids. Eyelashes, belly buttons, toes, fingers. Tell a story with your images and be sure to capture these details. 

Be Yourself: Tell YOUR story, with YOUR camera, of YOUR kids everyday life, how YOU see it, and most importantly have fun doing it. 


For information about booking a session, please visit my website at www.cyndipalmerphotography.com or call me at 636-222-8754. 

No comments:

Post a Comment