Tuesday, January 12, 2016

2016 First Snow


Growing up in Wisconsin, I spent all winter outside playing in massive amounts of snow. My best friend Joe and I would build colossal snow forts, sled, ski and spend hours outside getting cold, wet and having a blast. As an Adult, I lived a lot of my live in the U.P. of Michigan where winter literally lasted for 6 month of the year. I taught at a school where we cross-country skied, snow shoed and went winter camping on a weekly basis. Living in Missouri, I miss the snow sometimes, and I'm always excited when my kids finally can get out their boot, hats, gloves, snow pants and play in the snow on the hill next to our house. 

Last year, Myles hated the snow. He didn't want to touch it, be in it, be next to it, wear his hat or boots or jacket, and he cried the entire duration of our trips outside. I was pleasantly surprised this year when he put his snow pants on without having a meltdown, and stepped out into the snow and had a big smile on his face. He continued to climb the hill, sled with his sister and for the most part he was happy and content. 




Macey has pretty much always loved the snow and is really becoming proficient at sledding and snowboarding. Her first ever ski lesson was in Vail in 2014, and since that trip has been on ski's a handful of times. I wish we lived closer to skiing, and our dream is to move out west were we can take advantage of all the winter actives the mountains deliver. In the meantime, we try to go skiing every year. Last year we took a trip to Gatlinburg TN and this year we are heading to Wisconsin to go skiing. My hopes are to get Myles on ski's for the first time.....that should be interesting!





We don't get much snow here, and it never lasts for more than a few days, so I encourage my kids to get outside as soon as it starts snowing to take advantage of the fun it brings. I love the twinkle in my kids eyes when they are going up and down the hill or trying to build a snowman. I love how my daughter eats so much snow that her tongue gets frozen. I love how she helps her little brother get into the sled and how they chase each other around with snow. Mostly, I just love to hear their laughter as it fills the frigid air. It's always worth the trip outside just so that we can go in afterwards and get warm with a cup of hot coco. 








No comments:

Post a Comment